Sunday, April 3, 2011

Nourishing Eating

On my quest for eating healthy. I have been trying to follow the WAP guidelines and also looking at the "fad" information on Paleo living and eating. I know that I feel much better when I eat natural foods with less interference from man when they are grown. But I did find this information on line this week and think it talks to all of us. Now this only works if we are honest with ourselves, which most of us don't do any more. I have read and heard all the diet recommendations, I have seen people (myself included) waste money on the latest or traditional ways to lose weight. I have heard people say they have success and I don't see it. I just see most of us still unfit, over weight or obese, unhappy, negative, gossipy, looking for the worst. People unwilling to take a chance, do something different. CHANGE. I see people relying on medications so they can control their feelings.
Where does responsibility start and stop. Take control. Figure out you. Ask God for help everyday. Get off as many drugs as possible. Work to reduce those that are absolutely necessary. Spend time with yourself. Learn to love YOU. Words are powerful, complement YOU many times per day.
And remember alos, no one thing works for all.

"I think a really important thing to remember is this: no one knows what is best for your body except you. Yes, information and guidance are useful in making good decisions, but the bottom line is yours to decide on. No one else's.

The cookbook Nourishing Traditions was written by two women, Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. They are very intelligent, educated and thoughtful researchers who have laid out some guidelines for us. The WAPF board is a few more people, also laying out guidelines. None of them are masters, gurus, or infallible experts. They are people who have done their research and offered their findings to us to use as we see fit.

People are worried about how different foods are going to effect them... are nightshades poisonous? Is coffee bad for me? Will eating grains make me sick? No one knows the answer to those questions except you (and your medical professional, perhaps). All foods effect our body systems in various ways and only you can tease apart the variables to figure out what is right for you. Remember, people can die from drinking too much water and other people live long, healthy lives eating frozen dinners and twinkies - nothing is 100% good and nothing is 100% bad.

I think Sam's comment that there are a number of foods that most people handle just fine while others have trouble with them is good advice. Grains are a great example of this phenomenon. Humans have eaten grain foods all over the world for thousands of years but there is rock solid evidence that some people, modern and historical, have much improved health from avoiding them. The same is true of nightshade vegetables. And many, many people in this world make the same argument about meat and dairy. :)

What works for you? If you have a gut feeling that you might not tolerate some food thing, give it a try to eliminate it for a couple weeks. How do you feel? If you feel better and the avoidance isn't a hardship, then keep refraining. Otherwise, weigh your options and make a decision.

As for the olive oil - people around the Mediterranean have cooked with olive oil for thousands of years and lived to tell the tale. Extra virgin olive oil, the first pressing, is a special and delicious thing that is best raw because it tastes best raw. Other types of olive oil are a traditional cooking oil in many cultures. I do most of my cooking in animal fat or refined coconut oil, but sometimes I use olive oil for the taste. I believe the researchers who say that monounsaturated oils are fragile and should be treated carefully and am interested in more information in this topic from sources other than WAPF.

Good luck on your search for the answers for your own self. Let us know what you decide or what you find on these topics. This is why we are here, to share with each other and encourage each other. But we each have to make our own decisions"

No comments:

Post a Comment