Friday, May 15, 2009

Photos

Well I think most of us have moved to the digital photo craze. I hear comments constantly on where are my photos, how do I get my photos off my camera. I can't print my photos.

So I think we need basic photo information.

If you have a digital camera, you either have internal storage (usually a small amount of mega bytes) or a digital storage card that fits into your camera. These cards are called "memory cards" There are several different sizes of memory cards. They are labeled both in type and size. The two main types of memory cards in use today are Compact Flash and Secure Digital. This is the type of card and is also the physical size of the card.
The size of the card is measured by megabytes and determines how many files you can fit on your card or store in your camera.
The files are your negatives. Remember negatives from days gone by? How did you store your negatives? Did you keep them in a file cabinet? How about in the junk drawer. When cleaning out things have you came across them old negatives and been disappointed in not being able to see the photos that was take. If you kept them in the photo sleeves and stored them in a dark dry place you can have them reprinted.
You need to store your digital negatives safely also.
I know some of you go out and buy a new card, when your card gets full. Some of you have cds made at the photo store. Neither of these are bad, but also not the most frugal or effective storage system.
You have the means to store these on your computers and also make your own cds.
I always make 3 cds, and store one of them at my sons house. That way if anything happens I can still make copies of my photos.

My next post will walk you through loading your photos to your computer and making a cd of your photos. We will do this without using any camera or photo editing programs so you will always be able to get to your photos.

5 comments:

  1. I've signed up to folow your blog and looking forward to all the valuable info

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to get the info later today to fill out the questionaire from Mike or Lauren.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Glad to see you figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat,
    Just do it when you find time.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had this conversation the other day and I know I need to try what you said.Kat

    ReplyDelete