Friday, November 13, 2009

Conquering Clutter

All of you know I am the master of collecting. I collect kids, grandkids, toys, papers, photos, crafts (not many I haven't tried at least once). Once I collect them it is very difficult to weed them out, they all have importance to me, I convince my self that they contribute to my well being. NOT! I really do not want to remove my kids or grandkids (at least not most of the time) but all the collections of products need to be cut down. I have a basement that is the same size as my upstairs that you can't walk into, (it was totally cleaned out less than 10 years ago). When you have this much stuff it suffocates you. You can't cherish it, you can't even recall what or where the things that you do have.
I really wish I could have Clean Sweep come in and remove it, organize the things I really need, and simplify my life for me. Because I can't and it still needs done, this is a plan.

Schedule 15 minutes once a day, pick a spot and get to work. Set your timer, don't leave the area. Have 2 tubs, label the tubs, put away, throw away, spend 5 minutes loading the tubs.
Spend 2 minutes throwing the throw away stuff in bags and out to the garbage. NOT BY THE DOOR OUT! Spend the next 8 minutes putting the other stuff away. AWAY MEANS ITS PERMENANT HOME. Everything should have a home, if there is not room for it to have a home than something has to go.
Now we also have to tackle as we go on this journey the things that come into the house. First stop grocery shopping for 1 month ( you can stop and get dairy and produce). Use from the pantry, you really don't need those pretzels or chips. Next, anything that comes into the house, needs to be put away as it comes into the house. We live in a society that we can run to the grocery anytime and they almost always have the items on the shelf. We don't need to keep the running inventory of food that we use to need. It is available. CUT DOWN.
Thats it for today. Who wants to come organize the scrapbook room?

3 comments:

  1. Deb, I will come and help you organize your scrapbook room. It might give me ideas on how to tackle and organize my room. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    After the first of the year that is going to be my priority. Let you know when I get to it.
    I am taking everything out. Starting it all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in.....Pam

    ReplyDelete